Saturday, December 1, 2012

Behavorial Management Through Technology

Every teacher needs a behavorial management plan in order to keep their class in order and on task. As teachers we are use to:
  • making charts with close pins
  • checklist system
  • using pocket charts
  • giving out "fake money" or chips
Now with the use of the internet or an application, you can create a behavioral management system using technology. It is called ClassDojo! It gives student points if they are:
  • Staying on task
  • Working hard
  • Being on task
  • Teamwork
You can customize and add additional behavioral tasks according to your class or each student. Students can also recieve negative points as well.
 
 
The above video is a tutorial on how to use it that I found on youtube.com Below are some pictures from my teacher friend who uses ClassDojo and how they set their class up with the exception of the "demo class" I did not want to show the names of his students.
 



 

4 comments:

  1. I use and love Class Dojo in my computer lab classes. It's been very successful and a very positive way of ensuring proper classroom management. The kids love earning points, and they get to trade those points for tickets to purchase items from my treasure box. Once of the best things about using Class Dojo for me is that it gives me the ability to circulate around the room much better while I use my phone to activate the points.

    It's been a great motivator and I appreciate you sharing about it, Bryanna. Have a wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually heard about this but was unsure about what it was really about. Every teacher, no matter how many years you have been teaching, can use any help with behavior management. Truly, it depends on the group you have per year. I love the fact that you can do this all electronically instead of the old fashioned pocket chart.

    I also love the fact that it doesn't just focus on the students behavior individually but also sees how they do with teamwork! It is so important to have a positive classroom environment. I love this! Thanks for sharing :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryanna thank you for sharing this site. I have heard about it a while back and signed up for it but unforutently I do not have a smart-board in the classroom which would make it difficult for this application to be used to its fullest potential. With that being said I think this is a great alternative to the "normal" behavior management systems, but my only fear is- do the students see the "comments" from the teacher of each other or just the red and green circles? Thank you again for sharing this great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryanna,

    So exciting to see Class Dojo in action! I heard about this website in a Podcast I had to listen to for another UCF class and I have shared it with everyone! I love that it uses intrinsic motivation. The students aren't doing it for candy or a visit to the treasure box (although I still use these "bribes" haha) they are doing it so that they can be acknowledged for something good! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie Sipe

    ReplyDelete